|| April 18 2017, May 9 2017
||Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art
The Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art invites applications for the position of
COMMUNITY OUTREACH ASSISTANT
Application Deadline: May 8 2017, 5pm
Anticipated Contract Start Date: May 23 2017
Anticipated Contract End Date: August 21 2017
Remuneration: $13/hr, 34hrs/week
THIS IS A GOVERNMENT FUNDED SUMMER STUDENT CONTRACT, PENDING FUNDING APPROVAL.
The Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art is a non-profit artist-run centre in Kelowna, BC. Our mandate is to support the development of innovative contemporary work by local, national and international emerging and mid-career artists. The Alternator operates two exhibition spaces, hosts an artist co-op program and facilitates a number of weekly and monthly community-based arts events.
Working with the Artistic and Administrative Director, the employee will participate in a range of arts based community outreach activities. The preferred applicant will have experience in visual and/or media arts, preferrably a familiarity with artist-run centres. He/she is a highly responsible team player with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and is able to demonstrate personal initiative and leadership within a collective environment.
Major responsibilities include: supporting the Alternator’s community outreach activities, assist in daily administrative duties including volunteer coordination, general exhibition installation and maintenance, and offer support to the Artistic and Administrative Director and Board of Directors.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• A familiarity with the Mac environment, including Word, and Excel, (In-Design, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator an asset)
• Physical ability and knowledge to perform preparatory and installation work
• Ability to work with a team as well as independently
Please note: this position will require evening / weekend shifts.
To be elible you must:
• be a student between 15 and 30 years of age;
• have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
• be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or have official refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (foreign students are not eligible); and
• be legally entitled to work in Canada, according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Please note this position is subject to funding approval. To apply, submit a single PDF document (titled ‘YourFirstNameYourLastname.pdf’) containing a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write 'Attn. Hiring Committee' in the email subject line. Deadline May 8 2017, 5pm. Applications will not be accepted in person.
For information about the Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art, please visit www.alternatorcentre.com.
Alternator Centre for Contemporary Art
#103-421 Cawston Ave.
Due to the expected high volume of applicants, we regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.